Sunday, January 25, 2009

Time for a Change of Plans

I am not making my 5 am spin class. I need to get up by 4:15, and get there by 4:50 am if I want a 'good' bike (only spinners know what this means!). And I do not see this changing.

Usually, I am in bed by 9. This gives me enough sleep. But not recently. Mike has been working, a lot. I am overjoyed with this because he is a self-employed real estate agent/appraiser and working means an income. Since a few days after Christmas, he has been working daily for almost 10-12 hours. This includes New Year's Day, MLK day and Sundays. So if I want to see my husband and have an actual face to face conversation, I have to stay up a bit later. Some nights can be as late as 11:30. I cannot get up at 4:15 after staying up this late, especially if I have wine.

So in lieu of spinning, I am aching to return to another favorite of mine, running. The problem with running? Well, actually there are two--my knees. They got really messed up a few years back.  My running friends have told me if I have the right shoes, it should be OK.

We have a fancy running shoes store near us. A pair of shoes is about the cost of a month at the gym. I am thinking about putting a hold on the gym and buying those shoes. I could run around 5:30 am before Mike leaves and then be home in time to get all ready for their day.

And I love running. There is that great rush you get, the outside air, the calmness of it all.  Once you get past the first 10 minutes, it's a real thrill. 

Beside, it will fit in my new schedule. 

Any runners have a tip they'd like to share on shoes or training?

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nap Warden is a runner, and an awesome one at that

and Karla at Looking Towards Heaven is getting back into running, either of them would be good to ask :-)

i don't run.

Brian and Staci said...

I wish I could help you out with some good info...but I am not a runner. I want to be...I really, really do!!! So, when you find out any great info on shoes...do share please :) How about Candy? She's a real runner...runs marathons and everything :) I think her's our asics?? I bet she would be a wealth of knowledge..but I'm sure you already knew all that :) I have the UTMOST respect for you Lisa!!! Getting up that early...girl, you are somethin'!

RuensOnTheRun said...

So, the good stuff happens after the first 10 minutes, maybe that's why I've never enjoyed running...I didn't go long enough.

JCK said...

If you are getting up that early, you need to treat yourself to some good shoes, girl! Go for it.

Lovely that you're making it a priority to see your husband when he gets home.

Melissa ♥ Spoiled Mommy said...

I am not a runner and have no tips BUT I would love to BE a runner so if you get any good tips-feel free to pass them along.
lol

Anonymous said...

good for you, Lisa! I am so excited. yes, yes first get a pair of good shoes... actually I am going to the running store today to get new ones! I usually only have to spend about $90-$100 (I know that sounds like a lot). Get what you think feels comfortable... I almost made the mistake once of buying a more expensive pair, but the cheaper pair felt better! I thought to myself well you get what you pay for, but that is not always the case. This more expensive pair felt bulky and clunky. Anyway, sorry to ramble, as you can see I LOVE to talk about running. Hopefully, with a good pair of shoes you won't have the knee problem. Also, I know of some strengthening exercises to help strengthen the muscles around your knees... they helped me. You can do these exercises while you are sitting down at night with husband watching TV. You are lucky to have nice weather down there where you can run outside in the early morning. I think it is a great idea and saves a lot of time in your busy schedule.

Anti-Supermom said...

I'm not a runner either. We go to the gym three times a week (meaning me and the boys) @ 5:45, the only time that fits on my schedule.

I've often wondered what I will do once they start being more active after school.

Good luck, I'll be watching this post.

Jacque said...

4:15 is way too early! As for running, I only run if someone is chasing me. LOL I do my Wii Fit everyday and do run with that, but that's about it. I have a friend who is a big runner and does marathons. Lately she's had terrible problems with her knee, and previously her shins. It's hard on your body, I think. I know her doctor gave her inserts for her shoes. Maybe check on that? Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Have you tried Run On? They have all the shoes designed for actual running.

Unknown said...

Well, you know I am ALL about the running these days. Of course most of mine is on the treadmill. I've never been "fitted" for shoes but I've heard that's the way to go. I may next time I need a pair.

Good for you girl! We can be bloggy running buddies! : )

Heidi said...

You go girl. Inspire me to find time and an activity.

Brian and Staci said...

Are you guys getting some icey weather yet??!! We are out of school again tomorrow :)

Emily said...

yikes...running? What about biking instead? At 530 am there would be little traffic and if you wear the appropriate clothing...very little safety concerns? I'd be wary of abusing your knees even more.

Or, what about working out at night?

Wait, nix that. Night is for wine-drinking. Maybe you should just drink more wine and then you won't WANT to work out at 5am. It works for me!

just jamie said...

Oh good grief. I HATE running. Blaaahhh...

(Okay, not really. But don't tell anyone.)

But really? I HATE spinning.

EatPlayLove said...

we have a couple of local running shops that will fit you for your shoes, best investment I ever made. They run only about 10-20 bucks more than a DSW or the like, well worth it.

You should look for one! They even video tape you on a tread mill to see if the shoes are the right fit.