Friday, January 23, 2009

It was sad but not as terrible as I imagined it would be

Today at the grocery store I have been going to for over 8 years, talking with the cashier I have seen almost every single week, I came out.

This is the cashier who 'treats' me to my children's birthday cakes, who asks me about my day, who gives me a hug after every visit, who always remembers to give credit for my cloth bags.  She saw me through three pregnancies and three new babies. I have felt over our many years that we have indeed formed a friendship. If I ever saw her in public, I would not hesitate to chat with her and I feel she would do the very same for me.

Today I came into her line as I do every Friday. She asked me about my week. I told her I was tired, gave her the 411 and then asked about hers.

Right away she told me about the joy she was feeling for our new president. I smiled and continued to unpack my cart. It's her right to be joyful and happy!

She went on and described how wonderful it was having people come through that went to DC to watch the Inauguration. And how magical the whole thing was. Again, this is great. I am happy she got to meet them.

And then she added about how it was America again. I stopped unloading the groceries as I felt a chill.

I have always loved our country. I have always been proud of our country. Even during Carter and Clinton, I felt blessed to be an American. My own family fought under George Washington, my husband is a marine. We are a nation of value, strength and freedom. More Americans died in the Civil War than in all other wars combined. A war that ended slavery--a practice still going on today in many countries, especially in Africa. We were and are a great land.

I looked at the cashier and decided to say one thing.

"It was wonderful. I just did not think booing President Bush was appropriate at all."

She stopped what she doing and looked at me with shock. I felt sick to my stomach. I never really speak my mind on these items. I wondered what she was thinking.

I grabbed some more food and added that the behavior of the crowds just really upset me. How can they say "we are one" when they are so horribly disrespectful to a president that has kept then safe after 9/11.

She spoke. "He had a 22% approval rating."

"And congress has a 19% and they are still there." I was stepping far out of my comfort zone.

"Well I saw a republican on TV and he didn't like Bush."

"I'm not saying you have to like him. Booing him is disrespecting, the man, his work and the office."

Stone silence. It felt colder than December in Alaska and she no longer looked at me as she bagged the groceries.

I smiled and switched the conversation, trying to break the ice. Slowly she began to speak to me again but it felt different--guarded and short.

I sighed as I watched her pack up the groceries. I hoped I did not lose a friend. This is one of the reasons I don't come out. This is why I avoided blogging my views during and after the election. I did not want to offend anyone. I was worried people would not comment or come back. I would be labeled as one of those "stupid Republicans that just don't get it". 

Thinking those thoughts, I would think of how silly I was being. I go to liberal blogs. I like liberal bloggers. I don't view them differently and I do not think less of them because they do not share my ideology. The bald eagle needs both the right and left wing to fly. This is not to say I agree with them. And if I really do not agree, I usually do not comment and wait on the next post. I don't feel comfortable going to a blog, a virtual house, and slamming the post in the comments. That's just not cool.

So today, I am coming out once again to you. My name is Lisa. I am a strong conservative. I voted for GW Bush twice and last fall I voted for Sarah Palin (that is not a typo, I was not going to vote for McCain before Palin, I was going to write-in 'Ghost of Reagan') and I am praying I will get to vote for Palin in 2012.  I am pro-life, pro-gun and pro--Gitmo. I am also that very busy mom of 4 who is dealing with a baby who won't stop nursing, a boy being labeled, a daughter who loves ballet and an oldest child who hates math. 

Don't worry. This will not be a political blog. If I ever get that urge, I would start a different one. Twitter and other groups are enough for me.  

Oh and my cashier today did not give me any item as a treat, come around to give me a good-bye hug nor credit my cloth bags (the first time ever). It could have been worse.

30 comments:

Jules from "The Roost" said...

I could just post this for myself tomorrow.....I feel just like you do and I am glad you said it for both of us! I don't have the words for her behavior!

RuensOnTheRun said...

Lisa - I'm proud of you!! You go girl.
I know it is hard...we are so outnumbered in the blogosphere, but we can still like and enjoy each other even though we have different political views. This is the reason, I did not comment on any of my regular blog reads political post this week...but that doesn't mean I won't return and comment on the next post!

I posted a GOP - McCain/Palin button on my blog during the election so people would know where I stand and hopefully respect me enough to not leave me liberal comments.
I also have a major issue with people who are NOW pro-America because of election results...we are the same country either way. They should of been pro-American during Bush as well...we were/are still America regardless.
And, I'll come out with you...Jeff and I both voted for Bush 2 times! And I don't imagine us ever voting anything but GOP, because of our beliefs.

Again, proud of you Lisa!! and, if you start a political blog, you let me know...I'll visit and comment!

Streetlightlily said...

I'm glad you took a stand for your beliefs. It's a scary thing when you first step out in public, but being vocal about your views is the first step to changing the direction we're headed! If more conservatives were vocal, we may not be where we are today. You know what they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I'm sorry that your actions cost you a possible friendship, I would hope that people could look past political leanings and establish connections based on character.

Amanda said...

Working in a shop the cashier should remember that the customer is ALWAYS right!
LOL!
l,
Amanda x

Tyne said...

Great post Lisa! Good for you on standing your ground and being supportive of a great man who kept our country safe for many years!

mah-meeee said...

amen.

'nuf said.

Jeff said...

Wendy sent your blog to me and I usually do not comment on blogs although I do read many. You have made me come out as well. Way to stand up for your beliefs. There are MILLIONS of People who feel the same way.

Here is my opinion, we as conservatives do not speak up like we should. It is not in our nature to cause conflict or to step on someone's ideas/beliefs. We keep to ourselves, we do not push our ideas on others, but when challenged we should defend those beliefs.

I met "W"(Bush) in college and I would have voted for him again. Sure he made mistakes, but what president in history has faced as many tough obstacles.(tech bubble, 911, enron, & current credit crisis) 3 of those directly linked to failed Clinton policies, but that is a blog for another day.

Sorry to rant a little, but my last one was in Oct on Wendy's blog. Check out "what do you get.." you might get a kick out of it.

Great job Lisa.

Anonymous said...

Great job, Lisa. I have so much respect for you coming out. I too am scared to come out. I'm scared I will hurt someone's feelings or my friendships. I guess you have to think of it this way... if someone doesn't want to be your friend because you have different political beliefs then them... then they are not your friend anyway. I would never treat someone differently because they have different views. I could probably go on and on...

Stephanie said...

Good for you!

I think you handled it very well :)

Sonya said...

Wow, it looks like I get to be your first liberal commenter on this post. Wait, don't stop reading! :)

You know, I was happy to see the end of the Bush administration and the changes that Obama can bring are full of promise to me. I did not, at any point vote for Bush not did I vote for McCain.

BUT, I was appalled at the UN-American way some of the DC spectators behaved on Tuesday. The boo-ing, the chanting and singing...SO disrespectful! I even Twittered my shock.

Being the president of our great country is a HUGE responsibility and anybody that steps up for that job has my respect. He deserved a much more respectful goodbye. And you are right, regardless of who the President is, it was, and always will be America.

Like I sympathetically told 90% of my family, those conservatives I love, only four year until we get the chance to vote for another guy. Sit tight until then and Good Luck (but not too much ;)

Sonya said...

umm, I'm so used to the old ways in America...only four more years until we get to vote for another guy, or girl!

Anonymous said...

Wow, so glad to find another mother of 4 (from 9 to 15 mos!) who is as conservative as I am. I, too, voted for Palin - not necessarily for McCain. When will the Republican party find itself, along with its spine again? Found you from A Spring of Joy - keep praying for her!!

dani said...

this is the best post of any that i have read in a very long time, lisa!!!
much love and a hug (you didn't get from the cashier),
dani X

Anonymous said...

What a sad and courageous post, Miss VBMW4.

I was so depressed to see the "no hug, no treat, no cloth bag credit" part at the end. What is she thinking? That you are nothing more and nothing less than your political stance?

Thank you for posting your heart (not a typo, it really is as though you cut out a portion of your heart and pasted it on your blog),

Sending you a cyberhug,
tp

JCK said...

As you know, I am a liberal. Politics, like religion can really shake things up between people. People are so passionate on either side. I'm sorry everything felt differently after that with the cashier who really felt like a friend.

Brian and Staci said...

Could NOT have said it better myself!!!! I mean, seriously, booing The President??!! How very rude. I don't recall any Republicans booing when Clinton left?? Arrrgh! All I have to say is....show me what ya got Obama...make me believe in you! And I don't want to hear A WORD out of Hollywood if he screws up big time! Oh yea, right, like Hollywood would say ANYTHING wrong or bad about him! He's almost as worshipped as Tebow :( Okay, I'll step down from my high-horse now :)

Brian and Staci said...

Oh just one more thing...you are right...we DO need the right and the left to make this country work! And that is why I will get behind my President even if I don't agree with everything he stands for :)

EatPlayLove said...

Well, I know you know where I stand politically. But it deeply saddens me when the President is disgraced or disrespected. That's terrible.

Time to find a new cashier. I can't believe you've had the same one for so many years! I never see a face twice in Whole Foods!

EatPlayLove said...

Gosh I just laughed at Clinton being blamed for the woes of our current situation. Boy do we have a way of wearing Rose Colored Glasses for the people we support politically! Wow!

Amanda said...

thanks for sharing. Im sad to hear the grocer took it so personally. Its we ALL cant get along. My dog groomer said some VERY nansty and disturbing things about Obama that made my stomach turn- I may not have voted for him but I sure would not wish the things so spoke on him! Im sure the Lord hurts when He sees his children acting in such a manner-its a shame

Carrie Thompson said...

Well you already have me as a reader but I am even prouder to be a reader after that post! It was great. congrats on coming out!

I am sorry however that you might have lost that "relationship" it is hard!

Sending you cyber treats and hugs!

Jennifer S said...

As another liberal friend, I have to say I do agree with you about the crowd booing. It's one thing for me to stand in my living room and be happy to see the transition of power (and express it), but it was very bad manners to behave like that at the inauguration.

Also, I agree the we do need both sides of the discussion, and more than that, we need to respect our right of free speech. Any kind of discrimination undercuts the foundation of this country, and we need to elevate polite disagreement. How else do we learn from each other?

I'm sorry you maybe lost a friend. I hope that when she thinks about you and all the time she's known you, she will apologize and extend the hand of friendship again.

Unknown said...

Oh Lisa, your beliefs are strong and that is SO wonderful! Mine are too, although they lean a little to the other side! ; )

I would NEVER stop reading your blog or stop giving you hugs because of it and I'm pretty sure you would treat me the same way. I'm SO sorry that she ended up turning on you like that.

And the "booing..." Totally uncalled for not matter how you feel about the President.

Momo Fali said...

I am SO incredibly proud of you!! Good for you, Lisa! I'm sorry she reacted the way she did (which, in all honesty, wasn't any different than the people who booed).

Anti-Supermom said...

So well written, Lisa.

I love that you spoke up and didn't go with the flow.

I'm betting she'll forget it all by next week.

WILLOW TREE said...

Here's a hug and a high five from me to you. I share your political views and feel the Same way. Isn't it sad that some can cling to their views so tightly they squeeze out people? My sister is a die hard liberal democrat. But I love her to death, I just don't agree with her. I'm proud of you. Hold your head a little higher next time you go to the market.

Blessings, Carolynn

Halftime Lessons said...

Oh wow, Lisa...

GOOD. FOR. YOU.

The booing was absolutely reprehensible. I have never been a big fan of President Bush's decisions, but supporting our country includes supporting the OFFICE.

I did a letter to the President last week that had a very similar tone, here is the link if you are interested.
http://halftimelessons.blogspot.com/2009/01/ww-dear-mr-president.html

Outstanding post, I will be back to your blog FAST.

Jay

KC said...

AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!
You go girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm so proud of you..

I voted Bush twice and I too voted Palin and hope to get to vote for her again. :-)

I didn't even have my TV on last tuesday so I missed it all.. I"m glad i did I would have been so SOOOOOOOOOOOOO mad to hear they were booing Bush..

I tell ya what.. the stuff our new President has done in just that last week makes me want to puke though.. UGH UGH UGH..

Think I'll stop now.

Emily said...

How sad...that politics define friendships..or the lack thereof. I really liked what you said about the left and right wings of the Eagle.

I too voted for GWB, and I am PROUD that he will be living in my hometown now. I too voted for Palin, and I laughed outloud (in a good way) at the "ghost of Reagan" comment.

Obama wants us to embrace and appreciate each other...why can't we just do that?!

Jackie said...

Lisa - I want to run over and give you a big ol' hug for standing up and saying what you think! You go, girl. I happen to agree with you on all accounts (love how you said pro-Gitmo) :), but even if I did not, it wouldn't be reason enough for me to quit reading, or for me to stop being friendly with you at the store. I'm just sorry it had to be that way.