Saturday, January 3, 2009

My way to beat colds

Friday I came down with an icky sore throat. I knew what was coming and I did my usual cold fighting tactics and now 24 hours later, I am OK...a bit weak but OK.

I don't like colds and with a husband always working and no family in sight, I cannot afford to be sick for very long ever. I don't do OTC medicines. I actually think stuff like Nyquil and Sudafed prolong a cold. Ask my husband--he used to stick with OTCs and still be coughing and miserable days after I was 100%.

No, my biggest cold fighter is hydrogen peroxide. Seriously. At the first sign of a cold, I dip the ends of a q-tip in the peroxide and put a drop in each ear. There's some bubbling. From what I have been told, the bubbling is actually killing the nasty cold germs. I tried the drops in my ears when I felt fine and heard nothing so I am inclined to believe this.

Then I get into a very hot tub with a big glass of water. I relax and drink every drop of water.

When I get out, I put on my warmest socks, PJs and tuck into bed with a glass of water (or Mother's Milk tea if congested--the fenugreek in the tea loosens things!) until the next day. I will admit these are the times I let the kids watch TV all day even if it beautiful outside. Yesterday, they watched "A Christmas Carol" with George C. Scott, "Holiday Inn" with Bing Crosby and "Wall-E" with um, Wall-E during a beautiful day, and I did not care. (edited to add the husband did come home before the first movie was over to work from home and I was able to hear them--no deep sleep until hubby was home!) I did not worry about their poor minds rotting away. I relaxed. I stayed in bed (I also gave the oldest some cash for dealing with diapers and snacks.) I slept and I slept--only to wake up for an occasional water.

The next morning I woke up and felt better.

And that is what I do to fight a cold. This works about 90% of the time. Sometimes I eat raw garlic but this really messes with my stomach so I don't do this as often. But I know there are other methods. I know some of you have a great tip to keep us all healthy and happy in 2009. Willing to share?

11 comments:

Amanda said...

I was very interested reading about your alternative natural remidies ~ which i find very interesting. And i will have to try some (not had a cold yet, but it's only a matter of time!) Instead of my usual Paracetamol!
l,
Amanda x

Anonymous said...

Great tips! I love hearing how other's fight off colds and bugs ;-)

yippeee!

Clare said...

i love your getting rid of a cold tips. I also try to get lots of sleep as soon as I start feeling the cold come on, it is the only thing that seems to make me feel better!

Amanda said...

so glad you shared this! I too have a cold-woke up yesterday with the sore throat and feel AWFUL today. I HATE OTC too. I take garlic and vitmin C by the truckloads- I also juice fresh juice and take homeopathic stuff. Unfortunately with 3 small kids it is hard to get the nap in. Im still nursing the 4 month old-so I have to be up for that. I like the hot bath idea- going to go try that. hope you feel better!

Sue Wilkey said...

Ha! LOL at doling out the cash.....but Mom is on Homeopathic Bed Rest: your $20 is on the dresser.:)

dani said...

oh, lisa, i am so glad you are feeling better:) i'm sure it IS quite difficult for you to be sick. i have never tried your therapy, but i think i will book mark this entry so that i'll have it the next time i need it:)
thank you!!!
love,
dani
ps happy new year!!!

RuensOnTheRun said...

I'm glad you shared your tips...I don't have any good ones like these. I will be sure to remember them the next time I feel a cold coming on. Now, I need to find something for this thing they call "Cedar Fever" here in Austin...ugh, my first year to experience it!

Ash said...

Wow - I'm remembering that hydrogen peroxide trick!!

With this weather, I'm sure a cold is not too far behind.

Hope today finds you feeling better.

Anglophile Football Fanatic said...

Have you tried to gargle with the peroxide? My grandfather swore by it & Puppy has started to do it when begins to feel bad. Also? The neti-pot. It's amazing.

Brian and Staci said...

I'm sorry to hear you have been feeling under the weather. Bummer. You are right...no time for Mommies to be sick. I don't have any great remedies for ya, so sorry. I'm kinda weird about OTC medicines as well. To tell you the truth...I'm kinda weird about medicines in general...I just think my body will eventually fight it off itself???? Silly, well, I don't know...it's works for me! I'm knocking on wood...I have yet to be sick this season! I hope you are back on the mend real soon!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I use Zicam swabs and I haven't been really sick in 3 years. I'm a big believer in a day of rest right at the beginning--just like you're doing. The way I look at it is you can listen to your body and get a little bit of rest or ignore your body and end up needin a whole lotta rest.

I'm glad you're on the mend.