Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Hairstylist Debate

For years, I had an awesome colorist/stylist. She was the best. I loved her. I made my appointments 6 weeks in advance, 12 weeks in advance for the holidays and I made sure to always make the 35 minute trek to her salon.

Then last year, she opened her own independent studio, 50 minutes away. And she raised her rates. I went to see her twice. It was nice and she did the usual terrific job but with travel time, my hair appointment lasted over 4 hours. So add in the babysitter money and the increase in the rate and it was obvious I needed to find someone new.

So I called a just opened new Aveda spa (my colorist/stylist was in an Aveda salon so went because I thought they would have the same good people). The location was ideal--5 minutes from the house, the price not so much. It was more then the increased rates from my old stylist. But less than a babysitter for an extra two hours. So I took the plunge.

I asked to have the colorist who was in charge of in-store training. These people from my experience usually do the bet job. So the salon was lovely but the stylist did a so-so job on my hair. I was happy but not ecstatic like I used to be.

And then school started and I thought the perfect time to get my hair down would be when all children were at school. The only requirement? I would need to the appointment to start at 9 am. I asked to schedule my next appointment at this time.

"No we can't do that, "replied the very trendy receptionist. "J only comes in at 10 am at the earliest."

"I need to come in at 9. Could she come in earlier? You open at 9." I begged. 

"She comes in at 10."

And so I decided to check into a new location. A non-Aveda salon. At first glance the new salon was perfect. 9 o'clock? No problem. Cheaper rates? For sure. And a no tip policy. I was in heaven.

I went in and they did my hair. Not too pleased. I came home. My husband said maybe it was because you were new. How about another try?

I came back and the my husband's first words were "Maybe we could find a way to send you to your favorite hairdresser?"

Gee, thanks honey. 

And so now I spend a bit more time getting my hair to work in the morning. I am not thrilled with the color and I just feel washed out. But the salon works with my schedule. I really do like the people who work there and the price is perfect. I just don't like my hair as much as I used to.

Now I am two weeks from my next appointment and I am debating what I should do. A big part of me says to just bring in a picture. I really like her hair. 



(Isn't she cute? I could be that cute!)

Or should I just go back to my favorite--of course I'd need to wait. She doesn't work as many hours and she gets booked fast.

I just don't know. I do know I don't like this look at all.

21 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh, there is nothing like a hairdresser dilemma. I am tempted to suggest that you just go back to your original hairdresser, because I know what it's like to have someone you LOVE, but then again, I know you're on the Dave Ramsey plan, and I know it's no fun to shell out that kind of cash. Wow. But seriously, good hair is worth a whole lot.

OHmommy said...

I have been going to Aveda salons forever. I love them.

And I love that haircut. I thinking I am gonna go that short too next time.

Amanda said...

I would bite the bullet and go with your favourite hairdresser ~ you are worth it! Treat yourself!!
And i love her hair too ~ i think it would suit you.
l,
amanda x

Ash said...

I figure it this way - I'm happy with a $10 Target purse and a clearance pair of Payless shoes, as long as my hair looks fabulous.

That's a long drive though - maybe take a shot at another salon in the area (Freudian slip, I originally typed saloon - I don't recommend you get your hair done there.) I wouldn't stick to the last one though - that's a lot of time and money for just "eh."

I LOVE that screen shot of the blond. Super cute. I might have to borrow that for my next appt. Which really should have been about 2 weeks ago.

Sigh.

Unknown said...

Oh, the great hair debate! I am currently in the midst of it myself. Go back to the super expensive place or go somewhere else? I hate it!

But I do LOVE my hair when I leave the expensive place! : )

Anonymous said...

Oh, hair. It's such a bugger. I finally just went brown again and buy the OTC stuff. It looks like hell, but I'm beyond caring :)

I think you should do what makes you feel the best. If you love the old lady, go see her.

RuensOnTheRun said...

This was the hardest part of our relocation last year...I don't trust just anyone with my hair, ya know?!?! Anytime Iplan on changing the style, cut, or color...I bring pictures to make sure me and my girl are on the same page!

Jacque said...

I like that hairstyle. I say go to the lady you like best!

Unknown said...

I think you should go to the lady that makes you feel good. I mean seriously, life is SHORT! I think you should be happy. Hair is important. : ).

PS I bet you are even cuter than the news lady : ).

Carrie Thompson said...

okay, I read all the comments. I read your post. I feel so much for you and even with the Dave Ramsey thing I would attempt to go back to your fav hairstylist. I know the reasoning is hard and shelling out the dough is tough but...

maybe you could go longer between the "good" haircuts- you know make them more spaced out so it would be cheaper?

maybe your could tag team with another mom who needs to run errands and the babysitting wouldnt cost you???

maybe you could just talk to your stylist and tell her the dilemma and see if she will "cut" you a dea. Sorry it fit!

I hope you end up happy and pleased whatever the decision...

Brian and Staci said...

Oh...I say finding the right person is always worth the drive and $$$ !!!! And that hair cut is super cute! DO IT!!! Can't wait to hear what you decide (and pics if you choose to cut it!) Just put the boys down (a little late tonight...argh! Brian is at a meeting!) So now I'm off to watch your Buckeyes kick a little TexASS!!!!

Anti-Supermom said...

I totally feel you pain. I'd say stop people whose hair you like and ask them where they went, most people are thrilled to share their information and you don't have to make the 50 minute trek.

It's such a process though, isn't it?!

The Stiletto Mom said...

Is there anything more traumatic than a hairdresser change? I went to the same one for over 18 years but then we moved farther north. I still went...like you, it was a four hour ordeal. Then he went on vacation for three months and I was left to my own devices. I had to try out a few before I found one I liked and the best part is, she is 5 minutes away and always on time!

I like the cute bob, good luck making the hairdresser decision and thanks for coming by my blog...I'll be back to visit you!

4funboys said...

I've had so many bad hair experiences.

I've learned you get what you pay for usually... but sometimes I'm much more willing for the expense than others.

We have a reunion coming up... definitely worth the expense! ha

mah-meeee said...

oh i totally know about the hair stylist problem. i've been hiding from going to a new one since i moved... i've been keeping my hair up in a ponytail.

maybe give the new place another try?

Burgh Baby said...

If I actually had a stylist I liked and that did a good job, I would walk on water to get there. It'll probably never happen . . .

CC said...

Her hair is so cute!!!! I have to just find the cheapest. I had a great lady who was SO cheap until she went out of business....

More recently my friend (who did hair until becoming a mom) has agreed to do mine. She basically does it at cost. Yes it takes hours, but I enjoy the time and she is so cheap.

So, all in all... I don't know what to say. But that haircut is great. Maybe I should do that too!

Dennis and Leslie said...

So sorry, finding the perfect hair stylist stinks....

I go to Toni and Guy at Northpark. My girl continues to raise her prices, as she moves up in rank, but I've tried others and they just aren't the same!!

I'm slowly going darker though, so I don't have to go as often, therefore saving a little money. At least that's what I tell myself...

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

hair appts are the bane of my existance right now...did i spell bane correctly? bane or bain? who cares...

with our latest move i have had 2 bad appts...one bad color and the next one with an aveda salon good color bad cut...bad bad cut. then i went home for the holidays so i went back to my great hairdresser that i love...she did a great job...but i definitely can't take a vacation every time i need a hair cut! haha

i do like the hair cut that you posted...very cute...and you are even cuter!

EatPlayLove said...

I received a ho-hum cut from my usual stylist which left me bummed. I've seen her for about 15 years when it was $18 to get a cut! I joke about that with her, everytime I write her a check for hundreds of dollars!

That cut is very cute..I am in need of a new look myself.

Gretchen said...

I love AVeda salons too, but people are just people. Sometimes they are bad hairstylists. I have a funny cowlick at the base of my neck, and my Aveda hairstylist in WI could never get my hair cut right. The cowlick would cause my hair to dry funny and it looked uneven. BUT, in your sitch, I think you should just bite the bullet and find a person whose hair you like, and ask, where do you get your hair done? If you ask around enough, surely you will find someone close. Either that, or do what someone else said.. trade babysitting with another mom to get to the appointment!