Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Broken Heart

I tend not to obsess about material things. There are a few times I have seen items I really liked only to have them sold out before I bought them. This happens all the time in the shoe department. I am an almost size five and I am pretty sure they order only one pair of shoes in a five, ever. I have always been OK with it, saying 'well it was meant to be' and 'well I saved myself some money' until today.
Sunday was my birthday. My husband wanted to take me to get a new purse. I have not a new 'purse' in over ten years. Granted I have had lots of lovely diaper bags  but no purse. I never really had a desire for a new purse--my diaper bags did just fine. 
Well now that Spanky does not need diapers in public as much, I figured it was time for a purse. So we went to my very favorite mall and went to the Coach store. Nothing looked good. The signature 'logo' bags were cute but not me. I mentioned to our sales associate I wanted to pink. He showed me the most adorable bag, the Coach Patent Leather Ergo Satchel, in navy and then told me he could order me the bag in hot pink. I looked at the bag--it was beautiful--I especially loved the big brass snap at the top (which you sadly cannot see in this pic). It reminded me of an old fashioned hand bag. I was in love.

Stephen, the sales associate, informed me the bag in hot pink had sold out in two days but he could order one from the store and I'd have it in my pretty hands by Thursday. I was so thrilled I almost hugged him, really. I thanked him for making my birthday awesome as my husband went to the cashier to pay and set up delivery.
The next day Miley and I looked through the catalogue and drooled over my new bag. We talked about how cute and fun it was. I promised Miley she could use it when she was older. She beemed, like me.
Then the the phone rang this morning. It was Stephen. I was expecting to hear the purse was shipped to the store by mistake and would I mind coming in to get it (no problem I'd be there is twenty minutes!) but I didn't.
"We're sorry Lisa," he paused. "It's completely sold out everywhere."
I gulped back an unexpected sob. "OK."
"We'll have your card refunded tonight."
He did not even try to offer another bag. He knew my heart was broken.
I hung up and began a frantic internet search. 
Mostly just a bunch of woman who got the purse and who loved it and felt like a princess with it and were buying the same style in new colors they loved it so much even though it did not compare to the pink.
My husband came out of his study. He saw my tear stained face. He called Stephen. He asked for help. Stephen told him new colors would be available the 23rd of next  month. I thought of a purple or green satchel for fall. Things began to look brighter. I programmed an alarm on my phone for the 21st of next month. 
I smiled a little but I am still in mourning for my pink ergo satchel :( 

16 comments:

CC said...

That is too sad... They must sell it somewhere on the internet. Look it up. I'm sure you'll find it in your color!

Anonymous said...

That's tough to swallow. Think positive: green probably matches more and will be great into the fall.

Melissa said...

oh so sorry. Blue and green are so nice cause they go with so much. Im sorry :(

mah-meeee said...

oh, i'm so sorry to hear they are all out. did he say, EVERYWHERE? well, if i ever see it out here at the coach store here in cali, i'll be emailing you via my cellphone...

i checked online, they are out there too. :(

Unknown said...

Oh girl I am in mourning for you. I would keep looking though, if it were me anyway. I am a determined one. However, I am sure it will be nice in another color too! : )

Jacque said...

Happy belated Birthday! Sorry about the purse and I hope you find another color you love!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

beautiful bag...it's so beautiful i'm sure it will look amazing in any color!!! :-)

KC said...

OH man.. I'm so sorry..
Like you I haven't had a new purse in over 10 years either.. for the same reason.. I have been carring a diaper bay so who needed a purse.. I saw one I like and DH went to get it for me for Mothers day and he couldn't find it.. so I went and sure enough it was gone.
Except I didnt have my heart totally set on it.. so I just took it to mean that wasn't the purse for me.. butt I haven't found another one yet.. and I really do need it for summer.. I have a black one I'm useing but It spring and I want something fun and spring/summer like.

McMommy said...

Wow! That purse is sassy and I love it!! Maybe the pink wasn't meant to be...but how about purple?? It's the color of ROYALTY! :)

JCK said...

Oh, I'm so sorry, Lisa. What about checking on ebay?

Happy Birthday!

Grace Acres said...

I am so sad for you, I know what it feels like to have your heart set on something and to have it shattered. I hope they come up with a fabulous color for you next month.

Momo Fali said...

Sigh...there is no pain like a purse lost.

Purple Teacup said...

Happy belated birthday. I am a size 5, sometimes can get away with a 4 1/2 or a 5 1/2. I too save money. I am mourning your loss as well. It is a cute bag

Jackie said...

Hi there! I just found your site, and that purse is just adorable! So sorry it sold out! Anyway...I did a quick search on Ebay and they do have one up for auction there, although I think it is quite a bit more than it originally sold for. Just thought I'd let you know! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-ERGO-PLEATED-SATCHEL-BAG-TOTE-PINK-12520-SOLDOUT_W0QQitemZ120263461900QQihZ002QQcategoryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

BookMamma said...

I could lie and tell you the bag wasn't worth the pain.. but I'm not. It's fabulous. Wait it out!

Texasholly said...

It is a beautiful bag. I think the green will be good too...can't wait to see what you end up with!