Friday, October 31, 2008

Didn't anyone tell you the war is over?

A conversation with Miley the fifth grader.

"I can't stand my Latin teacher," Miley suddenly declares. "She wears the same ugly skirt every day."

She continues.

"And the skirt has pockets."

"I am sure the skirt is pretty to her," I say.

"Hmmmm...well yesterday one of the boys stood up to ask a question and she started yelling at him and calling him rude because he put his hands in his pockets. She said you should never address a group of people with your hands in your pockets because it was disrespectful," she starts to giggle. "But mom she had her in skirt pockets during this entire conversation. And she kept calling him rude and impolite."

"That wasn't very nice," I begin. "It's not polite to bring up someone's bad manners in front of a group."

She nods and I hear an angel chorus. My child understands manners. Praise the Lord!

"Anyway, she's from the North,  so what does she know about manners?"

The music stops and I suddenly feel this little Southern girl has watched too much Ken Burn's Civil War.

"Miley," I speak in a sweet, genteel voice." You do know I am from Ohio and I have manners."

"Yeah, but you've been here a long time. And I think Latin teacher is from even more North like Michigan or New York. New Yorkers know nothing about manners."

"Honey, that' s just not true."

"I've been North mom."

Did I mention Miley licks her food so no one will eat it when she has to leave the table?

21 comments:

Jacque said...

That's hilarious!

Jules from "The Roost" said...

SO funny! ;>) Love the title and the post!

Amanda said...

That's just so funny!
Andrew once asked me if we needed a passport when we were driving into England (we live in Scotland). When i said no, we don't, he then said the people in England speak funny!
I just love what children come away with!!

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

too funny...but i have to admit, my jaw dropped a little b/c i'm a NORTHERN girl and sooooo proud of it...not b/c i'm playing 'war' but b/c I just love the north...the midwest..the east coast...it's just ME. :-) i love that you are from OHIO!!!!!!! i love that you mention that she licks her food...that is too much!

dani said...

i love that she's proud of her southerness:) that whole story (title et al) is hilarious, lisa!!!
love,
dani

Ash said...

As a woman born in Philly, raised in Georgia, and now a transplant Texan - the girl has a point.

Oh, and Ohio doesn't count as North - that's more mid west - and I seriously believe the absolute nicest people are from the mid west.

Love the lick thing - I might have to give that a try. Priceless!

Em

Jennifer S said...

Off topic, but the teacher wears the same skirt every day?

Your girl is hilarious.

Rachel said...

I know it's wrong, but this has me giggling insanely! :-)

Love that kiddo but really, why oh why is she wearing the same skirt everyday?

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Hilarious!

Where in Ohio are you from?

Grace Acres said...

kids say the darndest things! But I am a northern girl too, and I think I have manners. let Miley know that I will be extra contientious to win her over. LOL!

Anonymous said...

Oh that Miley! The licking of the food is too funny!

Happy, Happy Halloween!
tp

Anonymous said...

I was giggling b/c I remembered her and the food incident. And, she's in Latin? I am so jealous. My lack of Latin is the reason I didn't go to grad school.

Unknown said...

Woah, woah, woah, hold the phone here... You're kiddo takes latin already? Dang....

Carol said...

Completely hilarious.

Many people may well agree with Miley and New Yorkers having bad manners, who knows?

Overall I am just impressed she is learning Latin!

Anonymous said...

Please tell her this Minnesota Mom laughed so hard I cried! Bwaaaaahahahaahaha!

Ahem.... Manners are very important to some of us Yankees. :o)

Blessings,
Whitney

Jackie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jackie said...

Hahahah! I know y'all are extra mannerly in the South, but I hope we that grew up in the Midwest and North have a smidge of it too. :) She is too funny!

I thought of you this morning...November 1st! Christmas Music! I have mine going as I type this. Yay!

EatPlayLove said...

LOL! I am a yankee at heart and I do have manners. When I was just in NYC my friend was getting mad at me for chatting strangers up! Hey, they didn't ignore my attempts!

You southerners do have a flair for manners we never quite captured in NY.

just jamie said...

That Miley is a sly one.

(And yay for baby Stellan!)

KC said...

ROTFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think she and I would get along great LOL LOL LOL..
oh she is too funny.

Laural Out Loud said...

This Northerner thinks this is pretty darn funny, lol.