Thursday, July 10, 2008

Well I never did have a nursery...

It's true. I have four children and I have never had a baby nursery. With my first Miley, we had just gotten married, were in way over our heads and moved into a new home weeks before I gave birth. With my second, Sarah, we did a room for Miley. I knew after my time with Miley as a newborn that Sarah would spend almost no time in her own room and probably never sleep in a crib.
When we found out about Dino. I started to look into making a nursery but things kept coming up--Mike switching careers, Miley in kindergarden and me constantly throwing up. It didn't happen.

I always regretted it. I remember telling Mike at Christmas 2005 my one regret was not having a nursery. Lo and behold we found out about Spanky two weeks later. I begged and pleaded for a nursery. The back room was filled with book shelves, old computers and every other piece of junk imaginable. I did my best  but alas it was not enough and Spanky came home to a chest of drawers :(

So after my successful painting of the back hall, I am wanting to really put together a bedroom for the boys (yes, they have to share at this point). They have some nice bedroom furniture but there is still an entire wall of Elfa shelving and lots of Mike's old junk, uh, marine corp foot locker and kickboxing trophies. 

I've already bought the bedding on sale a while back. I got it when we first got the furniture. It's a surfer theme and now I am looking to put the room together like a normal parent does.

My friend showed me the rate my space site on HGTV and I found this:




Quite possible the coolest thing for a boys' room ever and surprise surprise, the person who posted it makes these for a living. One problem, there no mention of prices on the website and well that is not a good sign.

So I found this:



And I am really thinking I can do it, if my husband will agree to let go of some stuff and there's the problem. So honey, if you are reading this--can you please find it in your heart to find another place for your stuff  like the attic. Remember I never ever got to do a nursery, ever.

14 comments:

Amanda said...

The surfer room is just lovely Lisa and the boys will love it. I know mine would.
I did a nursery with my first born, but i decorated the other boys rooms when they were born just as boys rooms. Callum, my youngest, his room was decorated with diggers and truck stickarounds. Guess what? He loves diggers, trucks and tractors now!
The boys will love their new room.
Oh, did you get that new carpet??

Brittany said...

I love the surfer room!

I DID do a nursery for both my boys...and it is basically a crib museum. They STILL spend most nights in my bed...I should convert it into a gigantic closet for me.

Texasholly said...

I love the surfer room, but if you want to do the other I have a carpenter that is extremely reasonable who could build exactly what you want and if you were willing to paint it yourself you would be surprised at how inexpensive it is...

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

why don't you write into one of those HGTV shows to see if they'll do a room for you! tell them all of your woes as to why you didn't have a nursery for any of the children & see what they say! it's worth a shot & many of them PAY FOR IT! :-) DO IT DO IT DO IT!

Anonymous said...

I am totally IN LOVE with that first bedroom set. The little beach hut and the theme! We are doing the Little Imp's room in pink and lavender surf and snowboard stuff - time to move from the nursery once we convince her a big girl bed is a GOOD thing... (we are diehard snowboarders and live near the ocean), and I'm going to see if my friend can't build me something akin to that, for half the price. It's wayyyyyyy too cute!

Your boys are gonna love their little surf haven!

mah-meeee said...

don't feel bad about the nursery. i had one for both of my girls and seriously, the only time they actually spent there was at night sleeping. they don't even use it for naps during the day...

you didn't miss a thing.

love both of the room ideas! you are so good at these things that i'm sure you'll be able to duplicate either one of those within your budget.

Unknown said...

Both of those are so cute! I can't believe you've never had a nursery. That makes me want to cry a little!

So Mike, it's time to pony up buddy! (if he doesn't read your comments, tell him I said that, k?)

Anti-Supermom said...

Those are so cool and you completely DESERVE a room all decorated to the nines when you didn't get the nursery.

I love the fort room, my older son would go crazy for it. The surfer room is great too, they have some cool Wallies that would work with that theme.

GOOD LUCK~

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh, I've always loved the surfer theme. It looks like you've got some great ideas. Good luck with getting your husband on board.

Jackie said...

Love those ideas! Makes me want to have a little boy so I can do something like that. It will look fantastic when you're done.

EatPlayLove said...

I completely understand. My girls share a room (kind of) and the walls are white, although one has polka dots I did while pregnant 5 years ago.

I think it's time to kick up the space to a really special place...Thanks, now my mind is reeling!

Carol said...

Forget the kids I want that to be my bedroom!!

Wow, your boys will love it.

just jamie said...

That is one sweet hideaway. Good luck. You deserve it. Isn't it funny how we would rather our kids have the cutest things in the world, rather than ourselves?

CC said...

Well if he does do that, send him up North to do some more work here! We can't do anything handy at all!