Friday, July 11, 2008

Personally, I prefer the fires of Hades

Every single July, we experience triple digit tempertures here in Texas, and every single day in July, every fourteen years I have been here, someone asks 'Hot enough for ya, (ha, ha)?'.

I used to tell myself, hey she/he just wants to make conversation. So I'd smile, make a comment agreeing with them and move on. 

But it is starting to get to me. The other day I took the kids to an outdoor mall to get a few things and they ended up playing, fully clothed, in the fountains (don't worry--it's allowed and other kids do it). I sat on a bench in the full sun taking the very last swigs out of my infamous purple water bottle I always have with me and tried to rub the sweat off my upper chest so it wouldn't look like I had been diving in the fountains. Wet tee shirt contests are never cool for a mom.

So a man walks by with the same comment ,'hot enough for ya?' and I just snapped inside. I wanted to throw this complete stranger in the fountain and scream 'wet enough for ya?' but I didn't.  

So my brilliant reader friends, I need a snappy comment for this infamous age old question. Please advice--and soon, we are heading out to the pool today ;)

A side note--I am usually very kind to strangers but it seems the heat is getting to me.

10 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Actually, it's a little cool for me. I was raised on the surface of the sun.

Amanda said...

I don't know if you would want to repeat what i would like to say in front of the kids. he-he!!!
Maybe try giving the evil eye. A good dirty look might work. But if your like me you will end up smiling and make a polite answer!
Good Luck!
Amanda xx

Anonymous said...

I actually like Jenn's answer! *lol* The heat down there is yet another reason I escaped Texas as soon as I could land another gig at a radio station in cooler climes...suffice it to say, Texas and I did NOT get along!

Oh and if that had been, sitting there in front of those water fountains...I woulda pushed the dude in.

mah-meeee said...

ha! i agree with amanda, i can't repeat what i want to say in front of the kids.

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Love Jenn's comment!

Other than that, I'm of no help. Sorry.

Elizabeth Byler Younts said...

this post is a favorite of mine! i was melting today in 94 degrees!!!

i don't have any snappy come-backs but a mommy-wet-t-shirt contest...now, that is GREAT!

AWESOME!

TheAustinEmpire said...

Funny, I too hear this no less than 10 times a day. It. Bugs. Me.
I usually hear that, followed by "no air conditioning in that vehicle, huh?" Um, yeah, but I prefer the 120 degree heat!

Grace Acres said...

I am nt usally very good with these kind of things, but I would probably say something like,
"well it's the same every year, nothing new" and say it with a little edge. that would say 'uh duh'
but funny post.

EatPlayLove said...

i'll give this one some thought!

Carol said...

Yeah I am just trying to acclimatise myself for my next stop, hell! Which is where I am gonna surely end up if another buffoon asks me that question!