Thursday, July 30, 2009

Now You Know Why We Avoid Shopping Together

Mike has been doing a great deal of work at home (which I love by the way!), and this afternoon, Mike had to prepare for a big meeting.

I decided to take the kids out of the house so he could focus in peace. Since we are starting school very soon I thought going ahead and getting school supplies would be an awesome idea.

The kids were of course, thrilled.

So we get there and the usual patterns begin.

"Can I have this?"

"Wait, I need to see if there's anything new at the dollar stop!"

"They have Mcqueen stickers!!!!!"

And so my three older children began the constant questions, chatters and begging. Spanky never bothered to ask. He was far too busy filling up the cart with things he needed (the things all two year old need--water bottles, post it notes, balls, glue, markers, crayons, locker mirrors, protractors, erasers.....).

Trying to make sure I was getting everything on the extremely specific lists, I let the kids continue and went on with the shopping.

I was glad I came early because all the kids seemed to start wondering, especially Spanky who had his hands full with 5 lunch boxes (one for each day I suppose).

So anyway, I ended up letting the three older kids get a special 'school' treat. The girls got fancy folder covers and Dino got a Cars notebook (their school keeps most supplies plain so this was a big deal). I figured I would try to barter with Spanky with something he already put in the cart.

At the check-out line, I mentioned to the cashier, I did not need everything in the basket and would be giving her a few items. It was easy to do at this point since Spanky was very distracted with candy by the register.

I handed her:
  • 23 bottles of glue
  • 7 bottles of clear glue
  • 5 mini-post it packs
  • 9 boxes of 24 count crayons
  • 3 water bottles
  • 6 lunch boxes
  • 2 Hello Kitty back packs (guess he was thinking of his sisters?)
  • 1 Koosh ball
  • 7 packages of markers
  • 2 index card packs
  • 1 soup container

Miley commented as she was trying to wrestle Spanky away from the candy that she understood why I never liked to go to Target during the day and I only went at night when Daddy was home.

"I have a head ache and my legs hurt chasing that boy," she mumbled as we got in the car.

Sarah of course chimed in saying she would be happy shopping online from now on.

I smiled, thinking this would end the endless quests to go to Target on a lazy day.

And when I got home, I had everything we needed for the school list plus:
  • 4 extra index card packages
  • 3 extra sets of jumbo markers
  • 2 folders
  • 1 extra set of erasers

I'm sure I'll find a use for those items somehow ;)

7 comments:

dani said...

lol, lisa, you are a saint!!!
much love,
dani xxxxxx

Unknown said...

Ha ha! Was the cashier okay with you giving all that stuff back. I'm surprised she wasn't bratty about it.

That was certainly a good way to handle it though AND keep your sanity (for the most part!) : )

Gretchen said...

Miley's comment totally made me laugh out loud!

I know what you mean... I NEVER take my kids with me to shop for school supplies. I get home and divvy them up, then hide them in a closet until the night before school starts when I announce HERE ARE YOUR SCHOOL SUPPLIES. I'm mean like that. But no way in h*** I'm going to pay $2.99 for a spiral notebook with Camp Rock on the front when I can get a plain one for 15 cents.

I came home with a few extra things and I have to go back for a whole bunch of things I missed. Can you believe my kids' school actually says, "Spiral Notebooks in red, green, and blue" HOLY CRAP what are people going to do who wait till the last minute and the only colors left are yellow, black, and purple???

mah-meeee said...

still don't know how you do it... but you are sooo good.

hooray for back to school!

FilledToTheBrim - Kate said...

1st time stopping by, great blog! I was laughing at this post because I feel that we might have been at Target doing the exact same thing!! Oh Target...good times :).

Anti-Supermom said...

Lisa, see you are the best at keeping your sanity.

Man, your kids are cute too.

~Rhen @yestheyareallmine said...

LOL- Amen sister. I took all 7 of mine with me. Sad thing is, I think I am worse than the kids. I adore school supplies. Good thing we are homeschoolers 'cause momma gets to buy a whole bunch of cool stuff. :)