Thursday, October 15, 2009

Will Spanky Be Where the Wild Things Are?


For the past year, Spanky has religiously asked for one book to be read to him throughout the day, Where the Wild Things Are. We read the book about seven times a day to him.

To say he loves the book is an understatement. He lives for the book. Every line, every illustration. He laughs as Max makes mischief of one kind or another and chases the puppy with the fork.

Spanky saw an ad for the Wild Things movie and has since been begging us to 'play it' on our TV. I was all ready to take him to the movie until I noticed the PG rating.

Why on earth would my son's very favorite book be PG? I asked Twitter. Everyone who responded said it looked too scary for a three year-old. I asked Facebook. Almost everyone thought it wasn't right for Spanky.

But Spanky still wanted to see it.

So I took the boys to see the Sleepy Hollow play the girls were in. Dino got scared and had to be taken out but Spanky...Spanky laughed. He imitated the 'evil' laugh of the headless horseman and called him 'the funny guy with no head'. He even wanted to meet him after the show.

Surely he could handle Wild Things.

And then just last night I heard a blood curdling scream from Sarah in the other room followed by cries of Spanky. It seemed Spanky decided to play Max and stabbed his sister right under the eye with a fork.

He got in the biggest trouble of his life. Since he was playing Max, I sent him off to bed with out eating anything.

Now I don't know what mischief Max makes in the movie but I know I don't need it in our house.

So the Wild Things may have to roar their terrible roars alone while we wave 'good bye'.

Oh and don't worry about Spanky. When he woke up, he found a bowl of steel cut oats waiting for him. And it was still hot.

6 comments:

RuensOnTheRun said...

I'm so sick of 'kid' movies being made to a PG rating. I know about wild things...I have one too! ;)

Gretchen said...

Aw, man, I hope Sarah is okay.

Sounds like a great opportunity for Spanky to learn about what is real and what is make-believe. Awesome connection to the bible, too (Bible is real but Sponge-Bob is pretend), etc.

But, maybe you could take him to see it as a reward for him doing something well for a week or two, whatever you need him to do!

Susan said...

That's a cute post. I too have seen the previews for the movie. I would wait for the DVD,,,

Lizz @ Yes, and So is My Heart said...

Oh no! My three-year-old son loves Where the Wild Things are as well. So sad they make the movies too scary for the age group that would like them the most. :(

EatPlayLove said...

I'll give you the scoop on the movie, after we see it. Rumor has it, the way the parents ignore Max is worse than the monsters.

Anti-Supermom said...

We can only do 'G' movies in our house. PG is just to scary, even for Henry, our five year old :)

Wyatt is often called 'Wild Wu' in our house.